
remove sanctions against Syria
The US Treasury Department on Monday announced the removal of sanctions against Syria following a presidential decision to end the national emergency that had been the basis for those sanctions since 2004, marking a radical shift in US policy toward Syria.
According to a statement issued by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), the move comes in response to the new Executive Order 14312 issued on June 30, which officially ended the state of emergency declared by former US President George W. Bush on May 11, 2004, under Executive Order 13338.
The Treasury Department said the decision reflects “positive developments” in the Syrian political landscape, particularly the transformations the country has witnessed over the past six months under the leadership of Syrian President Ahmad al-Sharaa, which have prompted the US administration to reevaluate its relationship with Damascus.
The regulatory amendment will take effect upon its publication in the Federal Register on Tuesday, according to the statement.
Syria welcomes
In contrast, the Syrian Foreign Ministry welcomed the US decision, noting that the congressional delegation that met with Syrian President Ahmad al-Sharaa on Monday supported the lifting of sanctions on Damascus.
The State Department also said that the congressional delegation affirmed its support for repealing the Caesar Act by the end of 2025.
On June 30, US President Donald Trump signed an executive order ending the legal framework for US sanctions on Syria. These sanctions were originally intended to punish Bashar al-Assad’s regime but have subsequently become an obstacle to the country’s post-war recovery.
The executive order went into effect on July 1, revoking the 2004 declaration of a national emergency regarding Syria, according to Al-Monitor.
He also rescinded five other executive orders that formed the basis of the sanctions program